- “Excellence in Artificial Intelligence and Data Science with holistic development”.
- To impart quality education with contemporary industry needs and emerging AI & DS techniques.
- To cultivate a research-oriented mindset and comprehensive professional skills.
- To equip learners with interdisciplinary skill sets to cater the needs of the industry and society.
Prof. (Dr.) Parikshit N. Mahalle
Professor and Head
Department of Artificial Intelligence and Data Science
Artificial Intelligence (AI) an interdisciplinary science with multiple approaches and Data Science (DS) is the field of study which encompasses various roles such as data analysts, decision scientists and business intelligence developers. As data is the main oil for every application, DS is helpful for students to draw meaningful insights from big data and acquire skill-sets to deal with numerous real time applications in this field. Since last decade, AI and DS witnessed tremendous growth and dramatic breakthrough innovations applied in almost every sector. Recently, new education reforms introduced AI learning right from school education. Successful MNCs like Google, Amazon, Facebook, Flipkart, twitter etc. uses various AI and DS techniques to discover patterns and trends in user’s data and behavior. Various banking and financial companies like Barclays, HDFC, Citi Bank, Morgan Stanley, Avaya etc. uses AI and DS techniques for risk analysis, share market trends analysis, investment banking.
The department programme is autonomous and utilizing this opportunity, the course curriculum is meeting to the contemporary industry needs. This programme is perfect blend of AI and DS and their applications in the real world problem solving as well as business intelligence. This course has comprehensive coverage of fundamentals of computer engineering along with cross disciplinary skills like statistics, mathematical and logical reasoning, knowledge discovery, visualization, big data analytics etc. Overall the program curriculum is designed in a way that imparts core and necessary skills required in the domain. This specialized course opens many career avenues for aspirants in healthcare, finance, astronomy, agriculture, data security, entertainment, E-commerce, social networking, climatology, biotechnology, genetics, and many more.
The department is offering undergraduate programme with the intake of 180. Self-motivated, strong and high performing faculty are engaged in mentoring students and guiding them to realise their potential and become good ambassadors of the department and in turn institute.
Semester I will be commencing from current academic year and the department is fully committed to impart quality education in this pandemic situation as well. Offline teaching will be resumed as soon as we receive notification from Government of Maharashtra, and SPPU.
- PO1.Engineering Knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- PO2.Problem Analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first` principles of mathematics, natural sciences and engineering sciences.
- PO3.Design/Development of Solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- PO4.Conduct Investigations of Complex Problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions for complex problems:
- PO5.Modern Tool Usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modelling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- PO6.The Engineer and Society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- PO7.Environment and Sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- PO8.Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- PO9.Individual and Team Work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- PO10.Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- PO11.Project Management and Finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- PO12.Life-long Learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and lifelong learning in the broadest context of technological change.
Program Specific Outcomes (PSOs)
At the end of program, students should be able to
- PSO a: Apply Data Science techniques to analyze, summarize, and comprehend data pertaining to real life.
- PSO b: Apply AI techniques to synthesize given problem and solving it for multi-disciplinary use cases.
||B.Tech. Artificial Intelligence and Data Science
|Nature of Programme